The Cruising Skipper course is a direct follow-on from the Cruising Crew course and enables participants to gain the YNZ National Sailing Scheme Level 3 Cruising Skills (Skipper) Certificate. Based in the Marlborough Sounds this highly sought after course will fully equip you with all the skills necessary to skipper your own boat or charter experience. The course fee includes two nights accommodation in the Marlborough Sounds on board the course vessel, as well as all meals. Travel to and from Picton is not included.
To be eligible to enroll, participants must have completed a YNZ National Sailing Scheme Level 2 Basic Skills (Cruising Crew) course or equivalent.
The course focuses on:
- Passage planning
- Skipper responsibilities
- Emergency procedures
- Taking control during manoeuvres
- Picking up moorings under sail and power
- Practical navigation
- This course includes a three-day trip to the Marlborough Sounds, and so you’ll need to pack accordingly! We’ll provide you with more information closer to the time.
- This course is weather dependent. We will go if it is safe to do so, but if it too windy, too wet or too cold, then we might have to cancel or reschedule.
- We are running a course in February on the 16th which has been fully subscribed at this point but we may double it with another boat so please contact us (email@example.com or 04 939 6702) to express interest. Next course will be in March and again please ring.