The Learn to Sail Keelboats course introduces people to sailing on keelboats. No experience is necessary. We will teach you all of the principles needed for your journey to become a great sailor. You just need to be over 16 years old!
The Learn to Sail Keelboats course forms part of the Yachting NZ National Sailing Scheme. On completion participants will be awarded a YNZ National Sailing Scheme Level 1 Introductory Keelboat Sailing Certificate. From here we can help get you involved in club sailing to add to your skills and experience as well as offering you follow on courses such as Racing Crew and Cruising Crew.
The course involves both classroom and on-the-water elements. Courses are four full days (normally 9am-4.30pm), normally on consecutive Saturdays or Sundays. Block courses (over four full consecutive days) are also available.
During summer and daylight saving hours we run evening courses, these are two evenings a week for five weeks.
The course covers the following practical elements:
- essential safety skills
- boat parts, rigging & boat terminology
- knots and rope work
- all crew positions including helming
- tacking, gybing and sail setting
- man overboard drills.
- This course has an on-the-water component. Dress warmly, even in summer. A wool or polypropylene base layer is a good idea, with at least one more warm layer on top. We provide you with a good quality set of breathable waterproof gear (pants and jacket) along with a lifejacket. A hat and sunglasses are also a good idea. Make sure that you have a strap or similar so that you don’t lose these overboard!
- This course is partly weather dependent. We will go on-the-water if it is safe to do so, but if it too windy, too wet or too cold, then we might have to stay ashore.
Course 481: Saturday 17th, 24th February, 3rd,10th March
Course 482: Sunday 18th, 25th March, 1st and 8th April
Course 483: Saturday 24th, 31st March, 7th, 14th April
Course 485: Saturday 21st, 28th April, 5th and 12th May.
Course 484: Tuesdays and Thursdays 20, 22, 27, February and 1, 6, 8, 13, 15 March
5.30 till 8.30pm
Block Course 485: Good Friday 30th, 31st March, 1st and 2nd April (four consecutive days)