This course is suitable for the skippers and crew of runabouts, RIBs, and other outboard-driven craft. The course will help you learn all basic powerboat handling and seamanship skills.
This course uses one of our two RIBs: either a 7m single 100HP engine RIB, or our 8m twin 90HP RIB (pictured above).
- Boat Preparation
- Effects of Wind and Tide
- High and Low Speed Manoeuvring
- Handling in Confined Spaces
- Anchoring, Mooring, and Coming Alongside
- Man Overboard
- Types of Craft and Engines
- Maintenance Checks
- Rules and Regulations
- Weather Forecasts
- This course has an on-the-water component. Dress warmly, even in summer. A wool or polypropylene base layer is a good idea, with at least one more warm layer on top. We provide you with a good quality set of breathable waterproof gear (pants and jacket) along with a lifejacket. A hat and sunglasses are also a good idea. Make sure that you have a strap or similar so that you don’t lose these overboard!
- This course is partly weather dependent. We will go on-the-water if it is safe to do so, but if it too windy, too wet or too cold, then we might have to stay ashore.
- We schedule these courses once a month, (please see the availability calendar) and they take two days with three participants, but we can schedule individual courses to suit you and with one on one training it only takes one day. Please contact us (email@example.com or 04 939 6702) to express interest.